Monday, 23 September 2013

Sri Lanka part 3 - the rest

I've lost momentum a bit with this Sri Lanka series, but by this point in the holiday the birding was more opportunistic than anything. That said, it was the source of new species 70, bringing my trip list to its final total. Also notable for finally seeing a couple of photos that can be classed somewhere above 'record shot'. unfortunately that doesn't apply to the first batch, taken from a guest house balcony while waiting for food.

Oriental Magpie Robin

Yellow Billed Babbler doing babbling

The next day, however, saw another boat trip, and the last chance to grab some decent photos before we were taken back to the airport the next morning. I'm quite happy with some of these.

Greater Crested Terns - bird number 70.

So good it gets a second photo

Indian Pond Heron, full of awesome

Pair of White Bellied Sea Eagles roosting in the tallest tree in the most awkward spot for viewing. Seriously, I wasn't even certain I'd seen them until I zoomed in on the photo.

White Throated Kingfishers

And so we said farewell to Sri Lanka, probably nevermore to return. The biodiversity is stunning, but at the moment there's little else that you can't see by staying closer to home and spending considerably less money. Still, it's a country undergoing a huge amount of rebuilding. We'll give it a few years and see.
And if we don't go back, I'll always have my nearly endemic green pigeon.

It's not bad here really

No comments:

Post a Comment