Wednesday, 20 March 2013

MY dAY aT ThE BiRD ZoO

I was originally going to write this in the style of a small child, but Blogger doesn't give Comic Sans as an option which took most of the fun out of it.

For my birthday last year my girlfriend's parents bought me a Bird of Prey experience at the English School of Falconry, which was a rather cool present. Naturally I booked my day for March time thinking it would be Spring. Silly me.  Still, a day outdoors is a day outdoors.


Gilly, the Peregrine Falcon. Want one.

I opted for the 'bows and birds' split package which, in hindsight, was a mistake. My reasoning was that, as a birdwatcher, I string see loads of some a few of birds of prey in the wild and that 3 hours of holding them might get a bit repetitive. Turns out archery without finger and wrist guards in the freezing wind gets unappealing very quickly. Also, an hour and a half holding and flying raptors feels like 20 minutes.

I started to hate myself about halfway through editing this, but once I came up with the name
'REOwl Speedwagon' I couldn't stop myself. I'm sorry. 

If nothing else though, the day confirmed what I already knew. I bloody love Kestrels. They had a Juvenile called Morgan who still hadn't come into his/her full plumage and it was extremely cute. So delicate compared to the big fat owl. 

Morgan, the Kestrel. Want one.

This can only end with me building an aviary.

No comments:

Post a Comment