Saturday, 17 September 2011

The better part of valour

This morning, I made a super-sophisticated phone-scoping adaptor out of super-secret parts and materials.



So this afternoon I took it out for some scientific trials.

Control photo. Phone camera unenhanced at normal zoom.

DSLR with lens at maximum 300mm

Phone taken using super-sophisticated phone scoping attachment device.

Basically, I have managed to convert my phone into an 8mp camera with 38x magnification. There's more depth of field in a puddle and the lens quality is on a par with a stretched piece of clingfilm, but for distant record shots this is going to be hard to beat.

The log book said someone had seen a Common Redstart over by the target numbers so I headed clockwise and stopped by the Marshland Discovery hide for a bit, where I took lots of bad shots of a Little Grebe with my new toy. I also got some video which I'll post when I can be bothered to wait half an hour for it to upload, but the Samsung does HD video so I'm hoping it might come out quite well.


Came out of the hide and looked up to see this:


It was looking worryingly like it was getting closer, so I beat a hasty retreat to the visitors' centre, got myself a cup of tea and waited to see if we were going to get wet. Five minutes later, the view from the window was a bit like this:


Hung around for a while watching the river with tea in hand, but nothing interesting turned up. I say that - no interesting birds turned up. These were quite interesting:



It's probably a good thing I don't live on the river, much as I'd love to. I like boats, I know what my nerdy tendencies are like and it wouldn't be too difficult to turn into a ship-spotter. Well, look who I'm blogging to, I don't exactly need to justify myself on that score. But I like to keep up some pretence of coolness, if only to myself.

1 comment: