- Learn, while inescapably at work, that there is a British scarcity at your local RSPB reserve.
- Learn via text message upon arriving home that it is still there.
- Pack all gear in the car, including camera as the bird is showing well and very close in places.
- Drive the 5 minutes to a fellow birder's house to pick him up.
- Get told the bird has been chased off by a Peregrine.
- Drive the 5 minutes home.
- Sit back in my still-warm armchair.
Much higher quality dipping, I think you'll agree, than wasting all that time driving to the reserve, sifting through a few thousand gulls for an hour hoping to see the bird and driving all the way back again.
I have reached new heights of birding efficiency.