Wednesday, 24 March 2010

My non-local patch in pictures

My girlfriend of 4 years lives about 2 hours drive from me, in a little flat in a little village in Hampshire. While there are many disadvantages to this arrangement, one of the big advantages is the Liss Riverside Railway Walk. I may have mentioned it before. For those new to this humble blog, it is a walk along the riverside which used to be an old military railway and is now a nature reserve. It is a very nice forested area with old railway paraphernalia strewn liberally around the main path. Now this isn't really very local to me at all, but I still end up visiting it much more often than the park just over the road. On Monday I worked from the girlfriend's flat, and spent my lunchtime wandering round the reserve with the Wide Angle lens on. Here is a short patch tour.


The first thing to note is that, while you will of course see birds, what you'll mainly do is HEAR birds. Hence these photographs will feature no birds at all. If I'd had the telephoto on me you'd probably have got a Robin, but it was wide angle all the way. I picked up Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Robins, Wrens, Blackbirds and Wood Pigeons on Monday, and if I knew my birdsong a bit better I've no doubt there would have been Coal Tits and similar. This forest is full to the brim with small birds flitting about in treetops.


The other nice thing about this walk is that there is a small footpath that runs fromt he girlfriend's flat all the way to the train station, so when the weather is reasonable you can avoid roads all the way into town. On the way there's a big field where the Swallows and Martins like to hawk in summer, and generally butterflies everywhere a bit later in the year. The path itself is well designed and maintained, and takes you past a conifer plantation which looked very festive in the snow. I particularly like the tunnel effect on the below stretch.


For those that are into their vegetation there are lots of green flowery things, however I don't know what any of them are called so I'm going to put up a picture of some Holly.


I don't currently keep a list for this site, as the visits tend to be fairly sporadic. The walk is extremely pleasant though, and if you like steam railways (which my girlfriend does), full of interesting bits of railway history dotted about. I'll leave you with some of those to finish off. If you're ever in Liss and fancy flexing your birdsong muscles, give it a go.



No comments:

Post a Comment