Monday, 24 August 2009

More Buddleia AND WONDERFUL BEES

We don't get many bees in inner London as a rule. A severe lack of meadows and an overloading of concrete are not conducive to them. HOWEVER, round by my patch (on the opposite side of the square to the Tower) there's a large building which is essentially derilict and seems to have been since I started working in the area. In the frontage of this building is an area full of wild Buddleia, and every time I've walked past it I've thought 'what a fantastic place this would be for bees and butterflies if it was anywhere else'.

Today I walked past and it was swarming. Bees of all shapes and sizes everywhere, plus a Small White and a Painted Lady. I stood there for a good 10 minutes watching, and I'm going to have to take the camera along and get some pictures if they're still there at the end of the week. So if you're round the Tower of London and want to see some bees, Tower side of the river across the square, just past the Riverboat Pier.

Now if only the House Sparrows would come back...

No comments:

Post a Comment