Tuesday, 14 July 2009

Harrow Lodge again

Somewhat shocking. I can't believe I've actually managed to set foot in my local patch twice in two weeks. Saw a lot more this time out as well.

Despite the usual pessimism from my esteemed companion yesterday, who has beaten me to it with his post, the patch actually produced a decent number of species. The lake was full of the usual Swans, Mallards, Tufties, Greylag/Canada geese and a lone Great Crested Grebe, with a young looking Grey Heron standing in a disgruntled fashion on the central island. The rest of the park produced Green AND Great Spot woodpeckers, singing Chiffchaff and Robins, no less than THREE Song Thrushes, an overhead flight from a couple of Greenfinch and a pair of my favorite Grey Wagtails by the river, the first I've ever seen in the park though I'll be frequenting that area in my rounds from now on.

Mr Parus talked at length about getting a Green Sandpiper stopping by early in the morning. I suggested that his expectations might be unrealistic. He didn't feel he could, in good conscience, disagree with that assessment. We reached an accord. I'm still a bit tempted to get up at six one morning for a quick half hour round the park to see what does turn up before the chavs and dogwalkers scare it all over to the Chase. We'll see what the weather does.

In other news, I have a pair of Dunnocks in my garden. Not bad for a wet evening in Hornchurch.

No comments:

Post a Comment