Wednesday, 11 February 2009

London birding update

Time for an update on Tower Bridge I feel.

Last Friday was a bit of a waste of time, since there were a bunch of guys on the Walkway by the Tower firing Howitzers. Even after they left and the public were allowed back in, every songbird for miles was still quivering under various bushes. Unsurprisingly, the seagulls didn't appear too fussed.

Since I last posted on here, I've had a Herring gull on the beach showing off all his identifying features, a Robin singing loudly and proudly round St Katherine Docks and some flypast Canada Geese, taking the site list total up to a whopping 21. That's more than I thought I'd squeeze out of this site in a year, so any further birds I see are into bonus territory (and the best of the migration is still to come!). Here, in honour of the Tower of London, is the list so far:

1. Black-Headed Gull
2. Blackbird
3. Blue Tit
4. Canada Goose
5. Carrion Crow
6. Coot
7. Cormorant
8. Feral Pigeon (Rock Dove)
9. Great Tit
10. Greater Black-Backed Gull
11. Grey Wagtail
12. Herring Gull
13. House Sparrow
14. Lesser Black-Backed Gull
15. Mallard
16. Pied Wagtail
17. Robin
18. Starling
19. Tufted Duck
20. Wood Pigeon
21. Yellow-Legged Gull

Odds are I've seen a Common Gull at least and not recognised it, so there's scope for a couple more seabirds in the near future as I get better, and I haven't seen a Collared Dove yet (and they're EVERYWHERE) but I think I may be reaching the ceiling for this patch - or at least the Winter ceiling. Might grab a few more if I start crossing the bridge in the summer.

Tempted to start a 'London's Mangiest Pigeon' competition on Birdforum. If there's one thing Tower Bridge is good for it's mangy pigeons.

5 comments:

  1. You'll probably get peregrine before the year is out, there are several pairs in central London.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed. It's early days yet.

    ReplyDelete