Tuesday, 20 January 2009

Foiled again

A pretty good day at the office today - nothing especially new or exciting, but the old favourites were queuing up to be photographed.

First off, let's get the 'I told you so' out the way. The loch ness monster lookalike from yesterday wasn't a Shag after all, just a juvenile Cormorant. See the sordid evidence below:


It won't stop me dreaming.

Got a site tick for Mallard, which was nice. I know they're regulars, but before today I hadn't seen one. Now I've seen five. Had a couple of Pied Wagtails beachcombing (I love low tide), joined by the usual flocks of Black Headed Gulls, 3 Lesser Black Backeds, a couple of Carrion Crows and a couple of errant Coots.



Then as I was leaving the site, over by the path at the bottom of the big steps, I came across a noisy little Great Tit hiding in a bush. For a wonder, he actually waited until the camera was out and I'd taken a picture before flying off.


A pleasant day all round. Though I'm sure I'll regret it, I'll probably give the camera a break for the rest of the week. I've got a trip to Liss this weekend to see the other half, so it'll be making its debut on the Liss Riverside Railway Walk.

Last but not least I leave you with a house Sparrow especially for Parus, who seems to express near constant amazement that we get them in the city centre. There's a bit of bush alongside the main walkway into the tower that holds quite a few:



Site list - 16

3 comments:

  1. Going to Dorset 2mo... So you'll have to be getting some seabirds in Liss to keep up :) Keep an eye out for those flyover gannets!

    London Zoo has the biggest population of house sparrows in London. So ner :)

    72 so far...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I got pied wag in the end :) sneaky bastards...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are sneaky little buggers.

    ReplyDelete